As Canada's largest hotel with 1,590 rooms and a business operating in a large community such as Toronto, the Chelsea Hotel, Toronto recognizes and respects its corporate social responsibility ensuring that our quest for sustainable solutions continue to grow and evolve. In these days of economic uncertainty, one thing is for sure – the Chelsea Hotel, Toronto never compromises the need for sustainable initiatives and always considers the environment in our decision-making. We commit to improving our everyday operations that coincide with strong environmental management practices with the maintenance of quality service and meeting our guest expectations. This will be achieved by minimizing energy, water consumption and waste production. We will also continue to commit to our local community through supporting local NGOs, volunteer services and charitable activities.
Sustainability elements are integrated into our design and day-to-day operations to ensure our guests are enjoying our essential services in this sustainable living environment.
1. Public Area
2. Guest Rooms
3. Eat, Drinks and Events
We've have teamed up with various organizations in order to put our sustainability commitment into actions.
1. EarthCheck™ - an internationally recognized programme widely used by travel and tourism industry for the benchmarking and certification of operational practices The Chelsea Hotel, Toronto has been awarded Silver Certified status by EarthCheck for 2017 and 2018, an environmental management program for the travel and tourism industry. EarthCheck benchmarking provides an organization a vehicle for sustainability reporting and is based on the premise of continual improvement. To earn this recognition, the hotel was required to meet the requirements of the past year’s benchmarking, including the collection and submission of data to EarthCheck for review.
2. Ongoing partnership with Eco Resource Management Inc. – continue to divert waste stream to recycling.
3. Earth Hour and Earth Day commitment
4. Official Sponsor of the Green Living Show (2009-2015) – North America's largest green and healthy living show
5. Partnership with the Ontario Culinary Tourism Alliance
6. Official Sponsor of the Live Green Toronto Festival – City of Toronto (2009-2015)
7. Official sponsor/partner – SickKids Foundation (Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto)
8. Supporter of Heart and Stroke Foundation (BIG BIKE) and Yonge Street Mission
9. Hotel Green Team – made up of colleagues from all departments. Meet monthly.
In recognition of the Chelsea Hotel's environmental initiatives, the Hotel Association of Canada (HAC) continues to award the Chelsea Hotel with a 4 Green Key ECOmmodation rating. This program is essentially a measurement and performance tool for improving our environmental performance. On October 23, 2012, the Chelsea Hotel announced the installation of an Electric Vehicle (EV) Recharging Station. This initiative promotes the adoption of sustainable transportation alternatives. The hotel partnered with Sun Country Highway, a Canadian owned company focused on creating Canada's electric vehicle infrastructure. For more information, visit www.suncountryhighway.ca. In February 2009, the Chelsea Hotel was recognized with the Hotel Association of Canada's Hall of Fame Award for Energy and Environment.
For any enquiries of feedback regarding hotel CSR policy and initiatives, please kindly contact the Director of Public Relations.